I may post here relevant (in my opinion), and not necessarily recent, quotes. Rather than analyzing specific investments, I will attempt to focus on investors' sentiment regarding broader asset classes and/or specific securities. These will be my thoughts/reactions/questions, and they are not and should not be taken as investment advice.

About me

In particular, I am interested in investors' sentiment and valuation levels. Disclaimer: I work at an Investment Management firm. My comments on this site are not posted in that role, and no opinions of mine should be construed to be recommendations of or to reflect the views of my employer.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Rooster today, feather duster tomorrow

"...investors are going to be reassessing global growth, and reassessing the ability for governments to stimulate economies to take up the slack from lack of consumer consumption. So I think this affects the growth rate that people are going to be using for the global economy. And, in that way, it affects all nature of global investments."
Jeffrey Gundlach

I have been paying attention to Jeffrey Gundlach for a while now. If anything, his arguments make sense to me. And then, as my mind drifted into thinking about markets, Mark Mobius appeared on Blooomberg and said that:

“Despite the fact that a lot of people think that we are entering into a bear market, we don’t believe so. This is a correction in an ongoing bull market.”
Mark Mobius

Whoa… wait. This is interesting. Mark Mobius is an accomplished authority in the investment world. And he is bullish on BRICs. Well. Let's look briefly into one of them. To use a Yakov Smirnoff's antimetabole, in America, you buy oil. In Russia, oil buys you. Let’s say it slowly: one…trick…petro…pony.

"In the near-term, the pace of Russia’s recovery will depend to a large extent on the path of oil prices... But a more likely scenario is that oil prices fall back as the pace of global recovery ultimately disappoints and the dollar rebounds further."
via RosBusinessConsulting

By the way, I am not saying that investors should never invest in Russia. If you know really well what you are doing, then by all means, give it a try. But sadly, Russia's EBITDA is highly cyclical, maintenance capex is high, personnel is shrinking to the tune of 1 million/year, the product (energy) is not proprietary, and historically, it is known to be a rather unstable shop. Yes, the 7-10 percent debt/GDP ratio looks decent. But I would make a wild guess that it’s just because very few brave souls would extend credit. And this is just a tip of the iceberg of issues. So…will US-induced deflation kill commodities and possibly disappoint Mr. Mobius on the Russian front?

"All are not cooks who walk with long knives." Another Russian proverb.