I may post here relevant (in my opinion), and not necessarily recent, quotes. Rather than analyzing specific investments, I will attempt to focus on investors' sentiment regarding broader asset classes and/or specific securities. These will be my thoughts/reactions/questions, and they are not and should not be taken as investment advice.

About me

In particular, I am interested in investors' sentiment and valuation levels. Disclaimer: I work at an Investment Management firm. My comments on this site are not posted in that role, and no opinions of mine should be construed to be recommendations of or to reflect the views of my employer.

Friday, May 21, 2010

Something's Gotta Give

"The US and euro zone now stand on the edge of a deflationary precipice… Impending cyclical failure and a deflation scare will trigger new lows in equities as the valuation bear market finally plays itself out with the S&P falling below 500."
Albert Edwards

Are we talking about a 50 percent decline here? When I see a headline like that, I immediately want to find a credible headline that disagrees with it. I am not a “permabear” and I think that standing in front of a huge wave of paper could prove to be somewhat counterproductive, to put it mildly. Besides, what puzzles me is the mostly binary nature of the opinions I hear. Bullish vs bearish. Inflation vs deflation. I reserve the option to assume that the reality may subsist somewhere in the combination of both.

Yes, I know that most new Federal Reserve Notes did not find their way into the broader economy (yet). The velocity of money comes to mind. Fed prints, banks do not lend, boomers buy bonds, and consumers are either unemployed and/or cautious/tapped out. But economies are not hermetic. At some point, assuming a continued and intensive reflationary pressure, paper may start leaking. But how much, how fast, where into? Stagflation, anybody?

Jim Rickards sees 5-7 percent deflation being countered by 5-7 percent inflation. I tend to agree with his assessment. A net effect may be at zero, but this is a very unstable state of affairs.