I may post here relevant (in my opinion), and not necessarily recent, quotes. Rather than analyzing specific investments, I will attempt to focus on investors' sentiment regarding broader asset classes and/or specific securities. These will be my thoughts/reactions/questions, and they are not and should not be taken as investment advice.

About me

In particular, I am interested in investors' sentiment and valuation levels. Disclaimer: I work at an Investment Management firm. My comments on this site are not posted in that role, and no opinions of mine should be construed to be recommendations of or to reflect the views of my employer.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Caveat emptor

A very brief case against Treasuries:

"... while government bonds are generally seen as defensive, the sub-3% yields they pay right now aren't much compensation for the risk of dollar depreciation, future U.S. interest hikes, or inflation over the net 10-years."

… and stocks:

"We also believe that this market will not bottom out until it reaches 10 times or lower the smoothed earnings. Although this may sound implausible, we note that the S&P 500 sold at a P/E of 10 or under smoothed earnings in 17 of the past 60 years."

via Business Insider