I may post here relevant (in my opinion), and not necessarily recent, quotes. Rather than analyzing specific investments, I will attempt to focus on investors' sentiment regarding broader asset classes and/or specific securities. These will be my thoughts/reactions/questions, and they are not and should not be taken as investment advice.

About me

In particular, I am interested in investors' sentiment and valuation levels. Disclaimer: I work at an Investment Management firm. My comments on this site are not posted in that role, and no opinions of mine should be construed to be recommendations of or to reflect the views of my employer.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Is BP hated enough?

Not by PIMCO:

"Bill Gross... recently bought $100 million of shorter-maturity BP debt..."
via Bloomberg

Yes, it is short-term maturity. However, it is indicative of a certain set of assumptions and/or expectations. BP will suspend its dividend until the rest of the year. But if it survives as a "going concern", where would its stock be 5-10 years from now?

XOM has been up about 2100 percent since the Exxon Valdez spill in 1989. Yes, the differences are obvious to even a non-discerning eye. But, we need oil. Also, if anything, BP is gaining expertise in dealing with the situation and may be able to apply its knowledge if a comparable disaster occurs in the future. Granted, BP's future seems to be dark today. Even very dark. Dark enough not to touch it with a ten foot pole. Dark enough to make it attractive?